Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Facebook...how I loathe thee.

facebookIcon.jpg
Image courtesy of google


I want to take this opportunity to share my hatred of Facebook.

I feel like I'm one of a dying few who refuse to have a Facebook page.But I must admit, I had a Facebook page at one point. My friend made me a Facebook page my junior year of high school which I kept until freshman year of college.

I made the mistake of friending my dad, grandma, and aunt on Facebook when I went off to college. And they all started "stalking" me, particularly my dad. When I realized this was happening I got really uncomfortable and called it quits on Facebook. I didn't want my dad to realize I had "de-friended" him so I figured I'd nix the whole thing, it wasn't worth it anyway.

Speaking of which, the obligations that go along with having a Facebook are exhausting!!! You're obligated to "friend" someone who you only recognize for fear that ignoring their request would hurt their feelings. Making relationships "facebook official" has no doubt been the end of many budding relationships because one person jumped the gun. And can you "friend" your professors or is that crossing the line?? Should you remain "friends" with your exes or is that weird too?
I would rather not deal with it.

But avoidance is not an option. In my everyday interactions, someone will say "I'll friend you on Facebook later" or "Just look him up on Facebook!" and I have to stop them and foil their plans for communication. I always get a comment of some sort. Not a SINGLE person has been able to get past my Facebooklessness.

But, honestly, I'm proud of the fact that I don't have a Facebook page.

What's interesting is that every single person who has been shocked that I don't have a Facebook is equally as impressed that I have the nerve to go against the grain and have the ambition to reach out to friends and family in a more personal way. I skype and write letters to my friends at other schools. I make phone calls to my parents.

Call me old school but I prefer things this way. It's so much simpler, I can talk when I want to and I'm not bombarded by ridiculous status updates or obligations.

No comments:

Post a Comment