Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Honestly....

Tolerance at Witt sucks.

And I don't just mean  racial tolerance, as evidenced by the events in the past month. I mean tolerance in general. Students are overly-critical, very preppy, and generally unwilling to accept anyone who is different in the slightest. We're all obsessed with labels and fitting a certain mold. It makes me sick sometimes.

I think the administration has noticed this stereotype and therefore put the community service requirement in place. I don't know how long the community service requirement has been around, but the "Witt Bubble" is still alive and strong. I think we are all reminded of that daily.


If I could change one thing about Witt, I would want the entire Witt community to be more accepting and encouraging of one another. If we can't even accept what's inside the Witt Bubble how are we every going to accept anything that's outside of it??

What do you guys think? Do you think Witt students are tolerant at all? Have you had different experiences than me?

3 comments:

  1. I actually think that most of our intolerance actually stems more from apathy than it does from outright hatred or bigotry.

    We're apathetic to learn about people that are different than us or have a different sexual orientation because they don't think they have the time to invest in caring.

    If people actually had the motivation to get to know or even step outside of their own individual little "Witt Bubbles" they'd see that people regularly defy the stereotypes they seemingly embolden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, What do you think the origins of this are in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. People in my day-to-day interactions! I don't want to name names, but there are definitely students on campus who seem to have a really difficult time letting go of their personal "Witt Bubbles".

    Not EVERYONE is like this. I only know a few.

    ReplyDelete