Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Blog Requirement

Overall, I have really enjoyed doing blogs for class. However I still feel like confused about what makes a good blog. What topics do professional bloggers write about? What does the layout look like?

Furthermore, the blogs were just never mentioned in class. I think that is part of the reason why we got so far behind. I think more class discussion and opportunity for feedback is needed.

I like the assigned topics, but I also like having the freedom to select which topics I want to write about. After all, in the real world we don't get topics given to us all time, we have to generate some stories and pull our weight.

My suggestions for next year's bloggers:
1. Pull up examples of famous blogs in class. Let's discuss layout, how many followers, topic ideas, etc.
2. Have students weigh in on their favorite blogs from the class more than just once.
3. Select your favorite blog each week and bring it up in class and discuss why it's your favorite (similar to what we did with Taylor's blog about marijuana use on campus).
4. Try to get more discussion going. I feel like no one reads my blog, but I really like the feedback. This would be something the students really need to do.

1 comment:

  1. Great suggestions, Shelly -- thanks! Part of the problem here, I'll admit, is that blogs are new to me too, and I wasn't at all sure how to go about teaching or requiring them. The experience I gained this semester, and suggestions like this, should make me a much more effective blog teacher the next time I teach advanced news. So, thanks everyone for being my blogging Guinea pigs!

    ReplyDelete